Payment gateways for accepting payments online
In this article we list explore several payment gateways and review the benefits of each one so that you can decide which is best for taking payments online.
PayPal is one of the most recognisable names in online payment gateways and is used worldwide. The businessaccounts and services suit a wide variety of business requirements.
- Affordable for businesses of all sizes
- Offers chargeback protection on qualifying transactions
- Accepts all forms of payment including credit and debit cards and PayPal payments
- Transparent pricing
PayPal fees are currently 2.90% + £0.30p per transaction.
Stripe is another solution for an online payment gateway which allows you as a seller to accept payments and deposit funds directly into your bank account. In addition, customers who purchase using their mobile phone can use Apple Pay in conjunction with Stripe to pay for their purchases.
- Simple to set up
- A fully secure and seamless experience for shoppers
- Auto-sync with Stripe Dashboard for easy order management
- Fully compliant for PCI, PSD2 and Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) regulations
Stripes fees are currently 2.9% + £0.20p per transaction
Amazon Pay can make shopping on your online shop easier for customers who already have Amazon accounts. It uses their payment and delivery options within their Amazon account to complete purchases on your site.
- Keep customers on your website by not redirecting them to a third party website
- Accept payment easily and securely in line with your checkout experience
- Mobile-ready with no extra set up required
- Added protection with Amazon Payments
Amazon Pay fees depend upon the volume of payments going through their gateway each month. Their processing fee ranges from 3.4% for less than 1,500 to 1.4% for 55,000 and above. All transaction have £0.20 authorisation fee on top. Find out more
WorldPay is another online payment gateway that accepts payments from all major card methods as well as access to multi-currencies and world-class fraud screening.
- Straightforward pricing with no additional or hidden fees
- Easy interface and real-time dashboard
- Stay in control with payment pages that are displayed to customers on your site
- Supports all major debit and credit cards
Worldpay provides two payment plans: pay as you go and a pay monthly plan. For small businesses the pay as you go option is ideal when starting out. As transactions are more frequent the monthly plan is recommended.
- Pay as you go: 2.75% + £0.20p per transaction
- Monthly fee: £19.95 plus 2.75% (credit cards) & 0.75% (debit cards)