Benefits of trade marking your business name and logo
In this article we will be looking at what benefits are obtained by having your business name and logo trademarked, and why your business whether large or small should have a trademark.
Here so some of the biggest reasons for having a trade mark.
- A trade mark will protect your business identity.
- You can bring an action for trade mark infringement against anyone trying to use your name for similar goods. It is notoriously difficult and expensive to succeed in a “passing off” action if you only have an unregistered trade mark.
- You can avoid having to rebrand if you have a registered trademark and so preserve your business name and identity. Rebranding or renaming can be costly. Some UK businesses have suffered because a US firms seek to cash in on a name which happens to be used here in the UK.
- A trade mark adds significant value to a brand and can be included on a company’s balance sheet.
- Trade marks are a key part in any business sale. Where one business sells to another they’re buying the brand and reputation with customers.